Boffins May Develop Cancer-Fighting Beer
- Researchers in Germany say that a cancer-fighting substance found in hops could be enhanced to brew a special anti-cancer beer. The discovery could lead to healthier beers and food supplements.
- The preliminary studies indicate xanthohumol, found in hops, inhibits a family of enzymes that can trigger the cancer process, as well as help the body detoxify carcinogens, according to the science newswire Ivanhoe.
- “It’s very healthy, I think the ingredients in the beer are very good,” says Dr. Werner Back, a brewing technology expert at Technical University of Munich.
- Xanthohumol contains more powerful antioxidants than vitamin E and some studies indicate it helps reduce oxidation of bad cholesterol, the newswire reported.
- “Xanthohumol has been shown to be a very active substance against cancer,” says Dr. Markus Herrmann, also of Munich. “It comes in small sticky beads, which you find within the hops.”
- Hops have always been known to possess medicinal properties and are used in herbal medicines as a muscle relaxant. Other compounds found in hops are potent phytoestrogens (Prenylflavonoids, such as 8-prenylnaringenin). Scientists say these compounds could ultimately help prevent post-menopausal hot flashes and osteoporosis 8-prenylnaringenin enjoys fame as the most potent phytoestrogen known to date. These biological activities suggest that prenylflavonoids from hops have potential for application in cancer prevention programs and in prevention or treatment of (post-)menopausal 'hot flashes' and osteoporosis.
- According to Hermann “It comes in small, sticky beads, which you find within the hops”. Xanthohumol shuts down enzymes called cytochromes P-4; they can activate the cancer process. It also helps the body detoxify carcinogens, stopping tumor growth at an early stage.
- Preliminary studies at Oregon State University show that xanthohumol can kill breast, colon, ovarian, and prostate cancers, the newswire reported.
- The German researchers warn that it would take 60 regular beers to equal the amount of Xanthohumol researchers are able to brew in this one beer.
- That’s why scientists are now working on ways to give all beers higher levels of Xanthohumol, and even find ways to add it to other foods, like chocolate.
- VIENNA (Reuters Health) - A beer developed by German scientists, which could help for fighting against the cancer. The brew contains high levels of a potent antioxidant called xanthohumol, which is found in hops and has been shown in previous laboratory studies to stem the growth of tumors cells.
Copy © Right 2016 All right Reserved.